• Home
  • ABOUT
  • FASHION
  • LIFESTYLE
  • NEW YORK
  • advice
  • Powered by Blogger.

    Ideas Are Scary





    I started class this week, and I knew my favorite was going to be my Radio/TV Copywriting course. I've taken copywriting before and loved it so I thought this would be no different.
    My professor in particular has lingered in the back of my mind for the past two days and prompted me to write this. He said this was going to be a semester where he will force ideas out of us; he didn't care about how far out we took an idea because it's easier for him to pull us back in then to push us forward.
    Immediately I wanted to get outside and think. Make stuff up. Go. The inspirational slump that I had been dealing with suddenly died.
    We watched this ad for GE TV, and I'm just going to go ahead and tell you guys the copy of it:
    "Ideas are scary
    They come into this world ugly and messy 
    Ideas are frightening 
    Because they threaten what is known 
    They are the natural born enemy of the way things are 
    Yes ideas are scary and messy and fragile 
    But under the proper care 
    They become something beautiful."
    I have the video linked below so that you can listen to it, but basically I just wanted to send out a reminder that yes, it can be scary to have big, crazy ideas. It can be hard to express them and even harder to share them. The chance of rejection hurts and can cause us to bottle these amazing opportunities inside of us until they disintegrate and we move on. 
    This year and every year after that, let's change that instinct. Think every day until you perfect your idea. Take initiative. Make these plans so big that you have infinite directions to run in. Lastly, write them down!! A worker at the PĂ©rez Art Museum told me that was the key to ever accomplishing anything, and it's true! You'll remember more, and it feel pretty stinkin' good to be able to cross things off that to do list. 


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmQvc6tB1o
    pic credit: vickyfraser.com

    No comments